Orland Bishop is the founder and director of ShadeTree Multicultural Foundation in Los Angeles, where he has pioneered approaches to urban truces and mentoring at-risk youth that combine new ideas with traditional ways of knowledge. ShadeTree serves as an intentional community of mentors, elders, teachers, artists, healers, and advocates for the healthy development of children and youth. Orland’s work in healing and human development is framed by an extensive study of medicine, naturopathy, psychology, and Indigenous cosmologies, primarily those of South and West Africa.Find more about the Three Black Men: A Journey Into the Magical Otherwise series with Orland Bishop, Resmaa Menakem, and Bayo Akomolafe.Purchase tickets to watch the North American live web stream and download the recording of this event.
- 00:00 – Introduction
- 03:17 – Part 1, Are We a Part of the Same Reality?
- 05:12 – ”I Give You My Word”
- 10:00 – Know Thyself
- 13:00 – Shared Inner Freedom & Trust
- 16:13 – Shared States of Consciousness
- 23:40 – Part 2, What Gives Form to Consciousness
- 30:44 – Light of Consciousness
- 37:35 – Collective and Racialized Trauma Questions from the Group
- 46:10 – Where Does History Go?
You May Also Like
The Moon Cannot Be Stolen
Sometimes a story can teach much more than entire philosophical treatises
More Distant than the Stars and Nearer than the Eye
Exploring the commonness of mystical experience in Sufism and Hindu bhakti-marga